A Dollop of Sour Cream

I'm not much into spicy food. I have recently discovered that if a meal is just a tad too spicy for me, I can put sour cream on top and make it not just palatable, but wonderful. This blog is devoted to doing the same for life.

www.flickr.com

1.31.2006

Texas A&M takes Seattle Seahawks to court

Last week, when watching the Seahawks playoff game (we aren't big football fans, but for a game this historic we had to have it on), I was disturbed by all the references to the "12th man"

I did not graduate from Texas A&M University, so I can not call myself an Aggie. But I DID graduate from A&M Consolidated High School, and flunked out of said University. And my sister, brother-in-law and my dad are Aggies (and my brother-in-law was in the Corps.). Our high school football team PLAYED in Kyle Field, so I went with the band to support them. (Football is HUGE in Texas. Even though it was only as part of the band I rubbed shoulders with it.) And the 12th Man is a HUGE Texas A&M thing, completely entwined with their history. So it was very jarring to hear it in reference to the Seahawks.

And for Texas A&M it does NOT mean being so loud that the players on the field mess up because they can not hear each other (frankly, to me, that is as poor sportsmanship as throwing things on the field!) It is supporting the team, being willing to suit up and join them if needed to prevent the team having to quit for lack of players. As they mention in some of the articles -- you don't sit at Aggie football games. You stand to support the team.

I have to say as an almost-Aggie, I am glad they are pursuing this.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

FYI - The Seahawks retired their #12 jersey in 1984...the 12th man has been a saying for the Seahawks for 22 years...and now all the sudden the "aggies" start bringing it up...pretty funny to me. Get over it! MANY teams use the saying...it's just coming up cuz we made it to the super bowl!

10:39 AM  
Blogger MommyLydia said...

Texas A&M University has been using it since 1922, when a student in the stands suited up to join the team when it had gotten a BUNCH of injuries.
They trademarked it in 1990 (which the Seahawks did not do) and are now pursuing their trademark.

Other teams have used it -- and dropped their use of it when A&M asked them too. (Including a Miller Beer commercial that was using it) Seahawks are the first to be stubborn. (after evidently originally agreeing to stop) They've been working through a process with them that started before this season and has now gotten to the court stage.

11:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a ridiculous thing to trademark. I am no fan of the Seahawks, but this is over the top. What's next? People trademarking the wave and suing when other fans do it? Talk about poor sportsmanship - I'd say 'owning' the 12th man reference is a pretty silly way to show school/team pride.

As the previous poster said, the Hawks have been using it for decades - it seems a bit odd that this would be the time for the Aggies to be ruffled about it.

Either way, Go Steelers! :)

~Kaz (an occasional drive-by reader)

9:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm an Aggie still in College Station, and I just came across your blog. Keep up the good work!

The hearing on the 12th Man suit that was supposed to be in Bryan this afternoon has been postponed two weeks (I think) and will be in Houston.

8:33 PM  
Blogger MommyLydia said...

My sister's family is still there, and in many ways it is still home to me. So we get back on a fairly regular basis. ANd of course for high school reunions :)

9:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home