A Dollop of Sour Cream

I'm not much into spicy food. I have recently discovered that if a meal is just a tad too spicy for me, I can put sour cream on top and make it not just palatable, but wonderful. This blog is devoted to doing the same for life.

www.flickr.com

4.09.2006

Making Water Palatable

Well, I am trying to lose weight. So I walked to the store today to get my husband's cough drops. And I had him get me a second water bottle so I could take one in to work. The one he got is pretty cool. 20 oz, big enough opening to put ice in, but also a smaller opening to drink out of! It's got me addicted, a bit.

Friday night, I managed to drink some water. But I was not yet addicted. Saturday I read the linked post along with an idea about lemon water... I know for diets drinking lots of water is necessary. But I just don't like the taste. The idea of lemon and water only was.. not appealing. But I did a google search on it to find out what lemon water was, and found out that is not only exactly what it is, but it's evidently good for you! I thought, I have lemon juice, I'll try it. The first try, I put in 1/4 cup, as much as I'd put into an equivalent amount of lemonade. It was... lemony. But the thing was, even though it was puckery sour, it made the water more palatable! I could drink the entire container.

When that was done, I put a table spoon of Splenda into the container with the next bit of water. It added a faint tinge of sweetness to the water and, again, made it palatable enough to drink. (if not quite as fast as soda). So today, I alternated putting lemon and water in. And got my entire 64 oz of water drunk! (As well as 1 can of pop. But my reward to myself for finishing the 20 oz thing of water was a can of pop, and I didn't even choose to get another after finishing the second time!)

I can do this!

4 Comments:

Blogger Jenni said...

Wow, that is a great step. Lemon water (especially freshly squeezed), can do wonders for your health! Including reducing headaches if you have them. So way to go, you're on the right track!

11:03 PM  
Blogger Admin said...

You can do this! I recently gave up soda and I'm also drinking more water. It does take time and persistence, but it can be done!

10:28 AM  
Blogger Bethany said...

I had to give up soda when I found out I was pregnant....and since have become addicted to water myself. Nothing else quite quinches my thirst like water, now. I cannot do the lemon though. *Shudder*

I like lemon with other fruit juices, but not with water or tea. Guess I'm just weird.

Congrats on being healthy!

10:48 AM  
Blogger MommyLydia said...

You have to drink water when you're pregnant? Didn't know that! I just figured I didn't want my kids growing up drinking pop all the time so mom breaking her pop habit is a good thing.

Esp because for the first time I'm actually enjoying the water! I didn't expect to enjoy the lemon. It's so sour without sugar as well! (I love fresh-squeezed lemonade. ANd, I've discovered recently, Minute Maid Lemonade from the tap. But NOT in cans. More's the pity)

It's not fresh squeeed lemon :( I use bottled lemon juice -- it keeps longer and is less ork. Maybe eventually I'll try it the natural way... We'll see. As little as I use in each jar though, I dunno.

6:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home