A Dollop of Sour Cream

I'm not much into spicy food. I have recently discovered that if a meal is just a tad too spicy for me, I can put sour cream on top and make it not just palatable, but wonderful. This blog is devoted to doing the same for life.

www.flickr.com

2.08.2006

Knitting frustrations

I got a nice colorful "How to Knit" book geared for teens, as well as a set of size 8 needles and the recommended yarn. I dutifully took it to our bible study Sunday and tried to figure out knitting while we watched the Superbowl. Step one, slip knot on the needle, Check. I practice it four or five times to make sure I have it down one.

Step two, casting on stitches -- uh oh. I couldn't figure it out. What's more, turns out no one was there who could figure it out either :(
OTOH, I don't think God wants me to give up. I've been seated on the bus next to knitters two afternoons this week! (knitters who were actually knitting) So I got to watch and see how the fingers went and how the needles went (and the second lady was doing something with multiple colors of yarn on three needles!) And I must say it doesn't look much like the pictures in the book... On the other hand, in neither case were they actually casting on stitches.

I'm going to a craft camp this weekend. Hopefully SOmeoNe there can knit!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If not, try to find out if your area has a local "knitting guild." Ours does, and they actually sit and knit at the library for a couple of hours a week. I had tried and tried to learn to knit and just could not figure out casting on from a book. After a few minutes with these ladies, I finally got it!

11:01 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

My daughter taught herself from one of those teen-style books, too, but I couldn't make heads nor tails of it all. I have given up, but for some reason I have a passion to buy yarn - Go figure!

~Karen

10:34 PM  
Blogger Donna Boucher said...

Ya know what...I could never learn anything from a knitting book. I have been knitting for 40 years and I still get confused every day by the written pattern!

I hope you met up with some sweet ladies who could help you cast on! I have taught many people to knit and casting on is tricky for 99%.

Check out this wonderful knitting website with video instructions!

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/index.php

Donna

5:27 AM  
Blogger MommyLydia said...

Well. Someone there taught me how to cast on. And I was able to learn the knit stitch and finishing off from the instructions. I've got to take a picture of the coaster I made and get it up.

Now I am struggling to try and learn purling from the same instructions! Argh.

8:29 AM  
Blogger Admin said...

Casting on has always been hard for me. I always forget how to do it. I had a video and that helped a lot. Books never helped me.

2:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home