A Dollop of Sour Cream

I'm not much into spicy food. I have recently discovered that if a meal is just a tad too spicy for me, I can put sour cream on top and make it not just palatable, but wonderful. This blog is devoted to doing the same for life.

www.flickr.com

8.30.2005

Unbelievable

I just keep going from website to website, trying to understand what is going on over in New Orleans.

The water started rising today, culminating with they are going to evacuate the Superdome. And the hospital. And they have declared everyone should LEAVE the city. And all these looters there -- taking things that they have no possibility of keeping, it seems. Maybe just taking things because that's the only way they know to operate? (and NOT just food, water, etc. stuff. Big screen TVs. Jewelry, etc.) There have even been shots fired, mostly by the looters themselves. One police was fired -- but there doesn't seem to be the will to really punish the looting either when you hear them talking about it -- even the Mississippi governor is much firmer... OTOH when you have people on top of rooftops, you don't WANT them wasting time trying to figure out what to do with looters... There are still lives to be saved.

(Though the unique nature of New Orleans is making figuring out what to do with the refugees interesting as well. New Orleans being under sea level is causing all of this further confusion.)

I hope my sister's family is fine. Her husband's grandparents live on Leewood Rd just NW of Picayune, MS -- which is REALLY close to New Orlean. And they survived Camille, so she doesn't think they would have left this time. And her cousins are in Covington, just across that (now-fractured) bridge from New Orleans. They had wonderful big-family reunions at that homestead.

For that matter, I can remember traveling across that bridge and talking to my dad about how Mississippi occasionaly changes river beds and this lake could one day again be the riverbed -- then going and trying to find more information at Texas A&M. It's hard to imagine that just a few days ago (Sunday) I was praying for the hurricane's path. And now that it is over... there are still people there. In fact, in New Orlenas, in many way conditions seem to be "lord of the Flies" as if they are far away from our civilized America. because they are stuck away by lack of roads, water, etc.

And all of my blog-hopping -- none of it helps the situation. I want to give -- though I don't know who to. After what happened in 2001, I don't trust the American Red Cross anymore. Yet that seems to be who everyone mentions... Doesn't matter right now. Decision to make with my Boaz instead of by myself this time.

Pray for peace.

2 Comments:

Blogger Donna-Jean Breckenridge said...

Praying with you! That is a tangible thing we can do.
One place we're going to give is Samaritan's Purse - www.samaritanspurse.org
and we're getting things together to send to Project Noah - that helps out homeschoolers. www.projectnoah.org
I appreciate what you've written on your blog!

8:39 PM  
Blogger MommyLydia said...

Thanks for the encouragement.

It can be easy to think no one's reading :)

10:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home