A Dollop of Sour Cream

I'm not much into spicy food. I have recently discovered that if a meal is just a tad too spicy for me, I can put sour cream on top and make it not just palatable, but wonderful. This blog is devoted to doing the same for life.

www.flickr.com

12.08.2009

Toys I really played with: Dollhouse


Dollhouse1
Originally uploaded by my boaz's ruth

This time I am changing the theme a bit to spotlight the dollhouse I had as a kid. We (my sister and I both got one the same year) got them WAY back in 1978, when I was just 5 years old. It had a lot of my parents love and care in it as they put the dollhouses together from a kit. But there were nice touches that made the houses all our own. One was that one of the pictures on the wall (with picture frame and everything) had my picture in it. There were magnets on the doors to make the door swing back and forth. And my dad stained the wood to make it this rich brown color. My mother made the coverings for the furniture (unfortunately, not available to take pictures of at the moment).



The picture above was usually towards the wall (most of our play was done in place, but the dollhouses were occasionally carried, by a great babysitter, into the front room so we could play there). But it shows the nice front porch and one of the swinging doors.

Here is the side we normally played on (you can see a couple of pictures on the wall):
Dollhouse8

The side door, going into the kitchen
Dollhouse4

Notice the detail in the windows:
Dollhouse3

I am very much looking forward to having a daughter, a little "Ruth," at which point we'll pull the furniture out of storage and pass this house down for her to play with.

Post written for Bilingual Boys' Toys My Children Actually Play With series.

7 Comments:

Blogger Annette W. said...

Oh, that's beautiful! I'd want a little Ruth too, if I were you!

You're right about the sounds on Scout and Violet being the same. Good for you getting your son Violet!

2:40 PM  
Blogger Adriana said...

That is a beautiful dollhouse! Sorry about the MckLinkey delay. I have no idea why but it is now set up with an automatic delay and it can't figure out how to remove it.

8:43 PM  
Blogger Ticia said...

Oh my goodness that's gorgeous. Came over from Bilingual Boy's after seeing you were a fellow Texas.

1:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

4:29 PM  
Anonymous Scrumptious said...

What a beautiful dollhouse! I had a beloved one, too, that my grandparents assembled for me. My grandfather was an engineer and wired the whole place with electric lights!

12:10 PM  
Blogger Hope Anne said...

Love the dollhouse! I used to love playing with mine as a child. My Dd has some "Magic Cabin" pioneer dolls and we've been wanting a cabin style dollhouse for her for a few years. She doesn't know it yet, but we purchased one this summer at an adoption fundraiser yardsale, and she'll be getting it for her birthday! I can't wait to see her joy! We've had fun teaching her how to play dollhouse. (Adopted at age 5.5)

God bless!

8:29 PM  
Blogger Leslie said...

This is a great dollhouse! I love it and you are very fortunate to still have it. My sister and I would make a house by leaning encyclopedias up against each other. And our shoes were the cars. Great times!

3:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home