A Dollop of Sour Cream

I'm not much into spicy food. I have recently discovered that if a meal is just a tad too spicy for me, I can put sour cream on top and make it not just palatable, but wonderful. This blog is devoted to doing the same for life.

www.flickr.com

9.05.2005

John Roberts for Chief Justice and more on Katarina

I just heard this morning, President Bush switched Mr. Roberts' nomination for his mentor's seat -- Chief Justice!

And it looks like Washington is going to get 2000 Katarina refugees. Which will most likely mean that the Puget Sound area gets most of those (just because we are the most densely packed area) So it looks like I'll have the chance to help more concretely after all!

4 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

What do you mean by that? WHY are they sending people HERE!?

I hadn't heard that yet!

10:45 PM  
Blogger MommyLydia said...

Kirby announced it yesterday and again today.

Here is the Seattle Post Intelligencer:

Gregoire says 2,000 refugees coming first to Fort Lewis


And why not here? Many, if not most, of the people displaced from the area are never going back. They will set up their lives in another area and continue on from there. When you've lost everything, including a job, there is no barrier to just moving wherever you end up and starting again.

I saw an article over the weekend about some of the wealthier refugees (the ones who can, one way or another, afford to own two houses at once) have already started putting money down on and buying houses in Baton Rouge.

And this is a HUGE number of people to expect any one state to absorb (or even a small number of states)

6:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoa. That'a a long way from home! :D

2:24 PM  
Blogger MommyLydia said...

My guess is that FEMA realized that too. Which is why they aren't doing it anymore :(

I know, selfish of me. I can understand why people wouldn't want to be so far away. it requires a plane ticket to get back, not really driving distance at all.

2:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home