A Dollop of Sour Cream

I'm not much into spicy food. I have recently discovered that if a meal is just a tad too spicy for me, I can put sour cream on top and make it not just palatable, but wonderful. This blog is devoted to doing the same for life.

www.flickr.com

6.09.2006

A reason not to entirely trust MPAA ratings

In the linked article is a story about a new movie that has received a PG rating. The movie is called "Facing the Giants" The reason it was rated PG? "decided that the movie was heavily laden with messages from one religion and that this might offend people from other religions. It's important that they used the word 'proselytizing' when they talked about giving this movie a PG."

4 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

That's ridiculous! A friend who reviewed movies told me that The Patriot was given an R rating because they movie people that do the ratings didn't like it that Mel Gibson's children in the movie used guns to shoot at the British soldiers who had taken away their brother.

Have you seen Facing the Giants? I am really looking forward to that movie. We love Flywheel - so much that we bought four copies of it to give to friends and relatives. A few weeks ago I met a young woman from the church that made Flywheel and Facing the Giants, and she said she's part of a crowd seen near the end of the movie!

1:16 PM  
Blogger MommyLydia said...

I hadn't even heard about the movie before. I'll take a look at it at least.

I still want to see Akalea and the bee and we haven't had a chance to see that. So-- we'll see.

4:16 PM  
Blogger Amy Howard said...

Hello there,

I've seen the movie...or at least most of it...and it was really good. I especially like the "death crawl" scene. You'll know what I mean when you see it. We have some friends that are involved with the movie and we were able to have a sneak preview just this weekend. It's going to be worth the wait.

I heard about the ratings buzz from a friend. What the MPAA cited was not the entire movie, but just the scene where the coach is encouraging one of his players to respect his father. Horror of horrors! RESPECT parents? What is this world coming to?

I like your blog...I found you through LFL.

Amy Howard

8:50 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

I never trust the ratings. They totally overlook the themes that are offensive to me, while focussing on little things like "bad words".

We learned our lesson the hard way last summer. The girls and I walked out of a PG movie (when the girls started ripping the guys clothes off). Check Plugged In first.

4:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home