A Dollop of Sour Cream

I'm not much into spicy food. I have recently discovered that if a meal is just a tad too spicy for me, I can put sour cream on top and make it not just palatable, but wonderful. This blog is devoted to doing the same for life.

www.flickr.com

7.01.2005

"1 in 3 youth who smoke die prematurely"

I'm not at ALL for smoking. I won't touch cigarettes, etc myself and I don't particularly like the smell when I, or my husband, have been somewhere with smokers and it gets all over our clothes, etc.

However... the crusade against them has gotten to the pitch that I could not consider myself anti-smoke either. I won't vote to increase taxes on them, or to force business to be no smoking. And I get really annoyed at this ad on the side of the city buses.

For example, what do they mean by dying prematurely? Dying of something other than old age? Don't they realize that a great number of people, smoking or not, do this? Living is hazardous to your health. And nothing you do is going to extend your life one day past the time God has allotted to you.

As far as I'm concerned, there are MUCH better reasons to use to convince teens not to smoke:
1. The smell clings to you and will discourage others from wanting to be around you.
2. Cigarettes are EXPENSIVE. Surely there are toys and necessities you'd rather spend that money on?
3. Your body is a temple of the Lord. Do only that to it which would be pleasing to Him.

4 Comments:

Blogger Chord of Three Strands said...

ryn- The portfolio will be reviewed in early August. I'll mail my papers in around mid August. Somehting like that. I don't know what happens if it's not done or turned in, that's against the Ohio homeschool regualtions so I make sure I do what is the law here in Ohio.

Blogging does help, but I would like to have a few actual things the kids have done for the teacher to look over.

And the eval is for my benefit, though i'm not totally sure why I am doing it. I don't care if my kids are grade level, that's not my goal. Ihave till they are 17 to make sure they know all they need to know. I don't care much when they learn it. As long as I see learning and growth I 'm happy. But the eval book I use does let me see what areas we have totally missed and need to make sure we add in soon.

6:18 AM  
Blogger Chord of Three Strands said...

I guess I bettr change that, Ki is the one who refused doughnuts for dinner.
Yes, my kids like codes. They have a couple code books they like to use.

11:57 AM  
Blogger Chord of Three Strands said...

Although *I* think your 3 better wways to cinvince teesn sound good,I really doubt they'd work on ateen. I mean if they ten were logical and well grounded enough for those arguments to work, they probably wouldn't be smoking in the first place, LOL.

And I WOULD vote to make places of business (stores and restaruants) go non-smoking becuase I have kids with asthma and it's not right that someone's freedom to choose what they like interferes with my childrens' freedom to be able to breathe and be healthy. Why should my kids get sick and havehave to deal with asthma attacks in a public place just so someone can choose to do something unneeded and unhealthy?

12:08 PM  
Blogger Chord of Three Strands said...

am I the only one that leaves you notes????

I was making marshmallows

6:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home