A Dollop of Sour Cream

I'm not much into spicy food. I have recently discovered that if a meal is just a tad too spicy for me, I can put sour cream on top and make it not just palatable, but wonderful. This blog is devoted to doing the same for life.

www.flickr.com

6.11.2005

Beginnings

Okay, Chord of Three Strands would like me to have a blog so she can comment on it.

I've had this blog for a while, but no title. But this week, a chance occurrance gave me a title I like.

I'm not quite sure where to start, but I guess I'll start with this week.

My week started out really great. We had our first observation day on the second grade sunday school class we are going to be teaching this summer on Sunday. And then, going to bed Sunday night, I just turned things over to the LORD. That sounds hokey and stuff -- and I've been a Christian for years and all. But something about the time was right, or maybe what I have been learning in church, or something, but I just said "God, it's all in your hands." And I felt the word Yes inside of me. It wasn't exactly audible. But it was so definite that it could have been audible? And there was also a great sense of peace.

What's more, this stuck into Monday, when a great deal of things happened that I wasn't quite so happy about. But I just kept giving the events back to God. "I don't understand why this is happening, but I know it is in your hands." (after all, I'd just got confirmation the night before, it HAD to be this, if nothing else, that was about.) ...And I didn't get at all worked up about the way things were going on! Now, I'm sure I'll fall, try to take back control for myself, and all. But right now, I am just enjoying giving it all back to God over and over again.

This week, my husband and I have been doing bible devotions in early Genesis. (I'll talk more about the book we are using later. I suspect this is going to be a long post already.) And we got very excited and interested in the begats of early Genesis. All of these family patriarchs lived SO long, that they overlapped even with children MANY generations later -- Enosh, for example, Adam's grandson, didn't die until over 50 years after Noah was born! So he had plenty of time to learn about God and the Creation and the Fall from his great-great-(many)-grandfather! Almost "Right from the horse's mouth"

And THEN, Noah lived so long after the flood, that he lived right up to about 2 years from Abram's birth! And Shem, his son, lived 50 years into ISAAC's life (unfortunately not long enough for Esau and Jacob to be born)

The last of the ancient fathers, Eber, the person after whom Abram is the first to be called a Hebrew, died 19 years after the birth of Esau and Jacob. The implications of All this was exciting enough. And THEN, I got pointed out to information like After the Flood by Bill cooper... and it got me all fired up on the subject again. More to read! And the idea that mythology might be related to Noah and his near descendents! That's COOL.

And then last night we went over to hubby's parents to help them clean out their house. (They are getting ready to put it on the market and move FAR away to Arizona :( But it's what they want to do) And afterward we went out to dinner together. (Their family really does a lot of going out to eat at good restaurants. It's important enough to them that we've put a once a month dinner outing into our budget. It feels very weird after the way I grew up though!) And we had good talk, but stayed too late for my husband to feel safe driving.

So we were back up there today to pick up his car. (He had gone over earlier because he works an early shift and I work, and thus get off work, later) And I got to see friends up north. And then, I had a birthday gift for Susan, a friend down south, I was already planning to go drop off with her, and I got to do that as well. And I ended up staying to chat with HER too.

Susan homeschools her children, A and J. J is finishing up 8th grade and A is finishing up 5th grade. But they use a method of workbooks that means they don't get to read NEARLY as much of the literature that was so much a part of my growing up. (If they read it, it is a clip out of it that is put in their workbook, not the entire thing) And she mentioned she wished I could teach her kids.

I really love this family. They were my family for the past -- 11 years when I lived up here so far away from mine. Esp before I met my dear Boaz and married him. I remember when A was born! A was the one of my flower girls and J was my ring bearer. And I have often felt an urge to do something of the sort with them. Plus, I'm not getting to see them NEARLY as much as I used to. It would be nice to have regular contact again. AND it would be good practice for when I have kids. And besides, it doesn't have to be a class. It could just be "sharing" And this summer, I don't have class of my own so it would be a good time to try such a thing out.

I'd like to do a play with them. But I'm having trouble coming up with ideas that fit both age ranges.
I have come up with a list of possible books
Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank
The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
A Wrinkle in Time by Madeline L'Engle
Stuart Little by E.B. White (they like the movie)
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
Island of the Blue Dolphins
Sherlock Holmes' mysteries.

After I get a feel for what works and doesn't, I would like to go off into a series on Roman and Greek mythology.

Anyway, this is getting long. So. Signing off for now!

1 Comments:

Blogger MommyLydia said...

Yes, in fact, I mentioned the book to Susan. I LOVE L'Engle's stuff :) However, I do believe the series should be read in order. (This could just be me being lawful. I very much prefer reading series in order.)

9:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home